Sunday, February 17, 2008

Miranda

A couple of things worth mentioning happened today. First, Wendy took me to the local shop. The closest Grocery store to the Hotel. Can you guess what it was? Yes, it was a Fresh and Easy. Typical. I can’t escape from them. (If you Google Fresh and Easy on the UK Google page, you will understand!)
Actually, they weren't too bad, and gave me a $5 discount. Not really sure why, but won't argue.

I also bought a new memory card for my mp3 recorder, so from having about ninety minutes of recording time, I now have eleven hours. Awesome!

Wendy showed me a few oher bits - we walked past a (famous) Chinese Theatre, (which was surrounded by cretins dressed up as superheroes or Disney characters or crap like that) and I also realised that the closest road to the hotel is the actual Hollywood walk of fame. Saw several Star Trek people (was disappointed to see that Patrick Stewart was just outside Fresh And Easy) and we also had a look around a Virgin Megastore that had the biggest, most insane range of TV DVD's that I have ever seen. There was loads of UK stuff out on DVD over here that I am sure hasn't made it on to a proper release at home yet!

There is also a place that has Oscars that you can hold. I am not sure why, but I have got an urge to hold an Ocsar. Idiot, I know.

A cop called Scott Atkins picked us up just after eleven for the trip to the location. Really nice guy, we had spoken to him once before on Sending a Wave. It took about an hour to get to the school where the location filming was done, and there was quite a large group. There were several really nice people, and I got to speak to most of them for the podcast. We walked around with screen shots that some of them had printed from the movie, and were able to match most of them to exact points in the school. Some of them were recreating the shots to take still pictures - I didn't really do that, apart from this one here, which is Scott (the cop) standing where Jayne stood near the crashed shuttle in the film. I think the camera must have been pretty much where I was standing, since this shot is almost bang on.

We then found the steps where there was a brief shot of lots of dead people on the steps, which we recreated, with all of us lying "dead" on the steps and one bloke taking pictures on almost every camera there!

After this, Wendy had to go back and meet her boss but a SoCal Browncoat called Colleen lives very close to the hotel and offered to take me back later, which was very nice of her. We had a picnic in a lovely park (the name of which escapes me) and we were there until after six. I recorded lots of stuff so we have almost certainly got a whole show out of the stuff we recorded today.

Colleen ran me and a girl called Rebecca back (an actress, doing theater work, very petite and really pretty!) and it turned out Wendy's plans had fallen through so she had been in the hotel all afternoon! In fact, the person she was due to see (her ex boss from London who now works out here) arrived just after I was dropped off!

I reviewed the audio, and had a problem with my new sound card - there were sound drop outs every thirty to forty seconds on the recordings I had made today. It pissed me off, but I was able to edit around them and made a forty minute feature on todays trip.

Wendy got back late, we are due to do Disneyland tomorrow. I don't remember her mentioning it before, I am not that keen to be honest. I fancy the studio tours (I think we are doing Universal on Tuesday) but Disney just doesn't do it for me. Oh well. I might not go. I will sleep on it.









No comments: