Saturday, February 16, 2008

In LA!

The plane touched down in Los Angeles just after three thirty. We had actually taken off late from Heathrow but made up the time en route.
Immigration wasn’t the nightmare everyone had warned me that it was going to be. This is probably because once they had got all the UC Citizens through their own gate, they let foreign nationals in that way too to get the queue (or over here, line) down quicker. Baggage reclaim and customs were easy.
Then I got out into the airport. I hoped to find some information on what I needed to do and where I needed to go, but there was literally nothing at all. I phoned Wendy (who told me what I needed to do) then got a bus to the hotel where the Gallifrey convention was happening. Well, had just finished as it happens. Wendy and I had coffee and then got a bus type thing to our hotel.
The hotel is called the Hollywood Orchid Suites, and what I did not realise until we arrived was that it was literally a stones throw from where the Oscars are being held next weekend. The building that faces our hotel is the Kodak Theatre, where the thing takes place. Once I had dumped my bags and unpacked, Wendy took me through to the Hollywood and Highland Centre, a posh shopping mall that joins the Kodak Theatre. We had a really nice dinner in a traditional American burger bar – I need to eat carefully whilst I am here, as my anti-depressants slow my metabolism, and I have already put on a few pounds in the two weeks that I have been taking them.
Tomorrow we are joining the SoCal Browncoats at a shindig in a placed called the Diamond Ranch High School, where the outdoor scenes on the planet Miranda in Serenity were filmed. I am hoping to get a podcasts worth of material from that outing.
I safely copied the Interview. Tomorrow morning I will call Mike so he can make a back up copy as well!
Went to bed by eleven, as I had been up almost 24 hours!

No comments: