Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Griffith Observatory

Today was a lazy day. Wendy was worried that she had spent too much cash since she had been here. Yesterday, Colleen had been to the Griffith Observatory to go to a presentation on tonight's Lunar Eclipse. She left a leaflet, and it looked good, so I got a cab there and had a look around. I agreed with Wendy that I would leave at four so I would be back in plenty of time for dinner this evening.

The place is amazing. It opened in 2006 after four years of renovation in which they basically lifted the whole thing up from it’s foundations, dug a massive hole, created a huge chamber with a thick concrete roof and put the observatory back. I watched a video on what they did – it is incredible.

The underground chamber has loads of stuff, and the actual Planetarium was great as well – in fact it was so well done that you actually felt that you were looking into the real sky. Amazing.

I also did a Geocache, my first here, but the bugger wouldn’t open and it was too small for the travel bug I wanted to put in it anyway. I will have do to some more.

Got back to find a message from Wendy (she wasn’t there) saying that Greg was picking us up at seven thirty, which he did.

We had dinner at a fantastic Indian restaurant, and had a really good chat. Greg loves Ricky Gervais, and it was nice because nobody ran out of things to say and we didn’t really talk about Firefly. After the food (which they paid for, which was lovely since it was meant to be the other way round, however we promised to take them out when they come to London) they drove us up the hills in the middle of the city and we got to see the views of the city at night, which was utterly amazing. I had no camera to take pictures, but then no picture could capture the sheer fantastic-ness of the view.

They dropped us back, it was a very nice evening. Sony tomorrow, and I am thinking of going to Best Buy to find a new digital camera.

No comments: