I should be writing. I've known that for years. I should be writing, but I'm not.
Why is this? It's not because I can't - when I do finally get round to it, I really enjoy doing it. Whether we are talking about writing for my podcast (well, it's not a podcast yet, and it's not strictly mine per se!) or the books in my head that are still in my head and not on paper... I should be writing, but I am not.
I was hoping that when I bought my laptop that I would we able to use this to increase my creativity, and to a degree I have - I have done a lot of video editing and creating video diaries of holidays that I have been on, but I have not actually managed to get into actually writing stories down.
I have lots of ideas. One is for a fantasy trilogy, this is the one that I have got the furthest with, although I have not looked at it for years. I started writing this when I should have been writing my dissertation at University, and I have actually written about 80,000 words (I want each book to be about 350,000 words). I have books of notes on character story arcs and other thinks I want to do with the story. It doesn't have a title yet (well it has, but it is a crap one, a made up word that means nothing, The Khalonarii, but I digress) and although it needs rewriting (too much gay angst bewteen the main characters, I'm not gay but when I started writing I had a bit of an identity crises thing going on) there are some great ideas.
The second idea I am working on is a story set at a school where some of the main characters find a method of travelling in time, sort of Harry Potter with time travel rather than magic and set initially in Cornwall. I am still working on Chapter One but again I have an idea for several stories that have a much bigger arc going on in later stories.
I am also working on a black comedy based on depressed moments I have had. It is the story of someone who kills themself and discovers that they can do anything to anyone now they are dead, and basically sets out to get some revenge on the people he blamed for his depression. It is going to be very tastless, quite nasty in places, and although I have not decided on how to end it, but I think something nasty will happen to the main character. The working title is "Une Morte Drole" (a funny death) and I am hoping to finish this first and publish it through lulu.com.
So why the blog? Well, a friend has suggested to me that a good way to get back into the habit of regularly writing would be to keep a blog. In fact I am going to keep a couple - one for my writing, and one for the TV stuff I am into, called Cadmium 2.
So enjoy, and hopefully this won't be my last entry!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Good idea. The only thing to do is start writing. Even if the blog isn't what you ultimately want to achieve, it stops you getting out of the habit. That's what was happening to me and I hated the thought of it.
I'll be coming back to make sure you continue posting... :-)
Hello,
why haven't you posted on here for so long? If you stop posting after such a great start people will think you suddenly got a life!! *wink*
Paul also persuaded me that a blog was a good way to get restarted with the writing. So I'm here to coerce you into getting back to the blog.
x
Post a Comment