I had an interesting conversation with one of my colleagues today about the relative benefit of Children In Need. Well, actually it started with me taking the piss out of her tiny Pudsey that she was wearing.
I am naturally cynical about this kind of television. The last couple of Comic Reliefs, for example, showed images of death and misery that were so graphic and unpleasant that they actually felt like propaganda, almost as though they were designed to tell you how to think. I genuinely think Comic Relief crossed the line on that occasion, and I suspect that Children In Need will do the same tonight.
I could be wrong. My colleagues point of view was that, as a parent, ("I can tell you don't have kids!" she said!) was that kids should understand the value of life, and how privileged they are for having a safe and loving environment to grow in. She makes them watch Children In Need every year, and finds that as a result, they 1) want to contribute something and 2) understand how well off they are. I suspect that her children will grow up to be well rounded, caring individuals and she must be a fantastic parent. Not that I told her that, it was far more fun winding her up by pretending to be terribly callous!
I hope that if I ever get the chance to be a parent (which is on my to-do list, right behind "fall mutually in love with someone wonderful" which seems to be the stumbling block) I can think things through as well as her.
Although I told her that I wouldn't watch Children In Need, I actually did - mainly for the Doctor Who bit, but I also accidentally caught Kylie Minogue. Bloody hell she was looking fantastic. And she is single. Perhaps I should drop her an email!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment